No folks I am NOT going to mention what’s happening in the USA but I can image that the regimes such as North Korea, China etc are rubbing their hands with glee as to what is happening across the Atlantic in the democratic West! Speaking of power, however, I must confess that this past week the over-ride button on the central heating has been busy! Must be my advancing age or a slower recovery from my morning dip. This past Saturday morning we had an air temp of -4, add wind chill and there was talk amongst the other swimmers of -10 degrees on the Tynemouth beach. It did, however, feel quite ‘warm’ once in the briny with a sea temperature of around 5 degrees!
If you are a live aboard or perhaps a sailor keeping a heater or dehumidifier running in these cold winter months, it can be a good idea to keep a weather eye on your power consumption. The Metermaid is an excellent piece of kit that will do such a thing.
METERMAID™ is an in-line portable electricity meter that has been specifically designed to accurately measure individual electricity consumption - wherever it is needed. It is a true kiloWatt hour meter and is the result of years of extensive research and development. METERMAID™ incorporates the latest in state-of-the-art technology and only the highest quality components are used in its manufacture. As a simple and cost-effective metering system METERMAID™ offers many benefits:
- It is designed to be ACCURATE. As a Class 1 meter METERMAID™ is precision equipment so when it comes to charging (or paying) for the electricity recorded by METERMAID™ you may rest assured it only displays exactly what has been used. With a non-resettable 6 digit counter and fully-encapsulated electronics METERMAID™ cannot be tampered with, slowed down or reversed.
- It is built to be WATERPROOF so that it will cope with the vagaries of the British weather and will be a match for any situation where it is likely to come into contact with water. The enclosure is rated IP673 within Europe and 4X in North America.
- TOUGH so that it can withstand the harshest of environments around the world, everything about METERMAID™ is robust and the build-quality is plain to see the minute you hold it in your hand.
- It is built to be USER-FRIENDLY. It needs no maintenance, servicing or re-calibration - ever! When you receive METERMAID™ you just plug in and go! It could not be any simpler!
- Total flexibility to meter boats or caravans wherever they are because it is PORTABLE
- A solution to the problem of financing capital expenditure as it can easily be sold or rented to the end-user making it very COST-EFFECTIVE
- Acceptance by end-users because it is FAIR and they only need to pay for the electricity they know they have used
- Control over your expenditure on electricity and peace of mind with a 2 YEAR CONDITIONAL WARRANTY
If you haven't already got one of our Shore Power Splitters it is a useful device to keep in your lazarette. I put one on board our Mystery after seeing the 'Greek spaghetti junction' on the quayside of a small harbour on the island of Meganisi. Since then our own personal splitter has been brought into use on a number of occasions by Jenny and I (especially when one of the charter flotillas turn up). I have, of course, felt tipped the yachts name on both sides of it so there is no Mystery as to whom it belongs to!
- Plugs directly into marina or boatyard power supply to bring safe 230V power to your appliances
- Ideal for use in your yacht, camper van or motorhome
- Built in RCD & circuit breaker for total protection
- 3 UK 3pin power sockets suitable for large plugs & adaptors
- Integral 20m orange connection cable & site plug
- Indicator light shows power supply is connected
- 10 Amp maximum total capacity
- Splash-proof assembly (NOT waterproof)